Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Ability for Sustainability?

Cradle to Cradle was an interesting read. I liked the approach they took with building things with what was available. I feel like that the solution to all social, economic, and political problems – start off small. I do feel like the authors were on track but I felt like they were addressing to a Utopian society. Not all companies can afford a green makeover. Not many countries even care. Not all citizens are concerned with the food=waste equation. So as much is it all makes sense and it sounds TERRIFIC, I’m not sure it would work in poorer countries after the two authors left. I found it interesting that on page 124 they mentioned their visit to Jordan and how they helped peopled near the “almost dried up” Jordan River build mud houses that were ideal in the weather conditions they were living in. Being from that area I’m sure the people were grateful for the authors’ help in building a house, but I’m not sure how effective that design would be in the future. We need to have a lot more people like Mcdonough and Braungart for things to change.

I know as a reader of this post you probably think I'm a very skeptical person, I try not to be, but I do agree with my classmate before- the four Rs aren't enough. On a brighter notes, Mcdonough and Braungart should work with companies (as they did with Nike and Ford) that have the capital to change. Starting for the top big companies would have a trickle down effect to smaller companies and eventually leading to the consumers. The Biologic and technical cycles have to be followed by the producers for the consumers to care about.



As the book mentions, the cost to make all these changes is high at first, but the money saved basically Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

ys the bill! I feel Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

ke big companies need to be lured in with that concept- then be given the good to be green concept. These companies play a complicated game, to be the winner you need to play it with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment