Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Neither Website! Skeptics need something more serious...

To be completely honest, I was never an “environmental person”. I travelled, consumed and spent like there was no tomorrow. As an economics major- I believed that there were sacrifices that had to be made for the human race to excel. After taking this class my entire belief shifted. But then there are websites like these that make me skeptical again. I didn’t feel the facts were something that made me think I wanted to change the way I lived to reverse the effects of climate change.
The first website: Friends of Science had this on its homepage, “While FOS does not do any original scientific research, it does extensive literature research and draws on the worldwide body of work by scientists in all fields relating to global climate change” Well who chooses what scientific research is qualified? I felt them having this on the website made me not even want to click on anything else. I feel like the creators of this website “stupified” the arguments to make them more simple. The problem with that is when a viewer reads the arguments presented- we feel like they aren’t important and too simplified. The Grist website addressed what skeptics would say. A potentially great idea – I liked how they had it broken down. But what I noticed is that a skeptic would want hard facts- something that would sway them. The Grist website could have done a better job in convincing skeptics.It was just very hard for me to actually want to stay on either website for more than a minute. I felt like they did not provide any source of information!

No comments:

Post a Comment