Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I am ashamed

When I am making food choices, I have to admit that environmental concerns is the last thing on my mind. There are basically three things I consider. I, quite sensibly I think, buy things that taste good. That's number 1. Number 2 I buy things that I can cook. I consider myself a beginner in that field so the majority of the things I buy is boxed, canned or frozen. Finally, I buy reasonably priced food for a college student. In other words, cheap food. I do one stop shopping at Giant, try to buy tasty non-brand food that's quick and easy to make. The environment sadly doesn't cross my mind.

Most of the food I've eaten in the past few days is pre-prepared and not locally grown. That means there is a lot of preparation that goes into my food after it is grown or killed and put in the store for me to buy. For example the environmental impact of me buying corn at a local market is very low because it is just pulled from the stalk, washed and sold. The canned corn that I usually eat needs to be transported from the farm to another place to add additives and packed away in a can and then transported to the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment