Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Nature is the Greatest Therapist


I had a similar experience to what Zaina had in Africa. I went to Zambia for a volunteer work when I was a high school student and I felt that wild nature, which is “the non-human world,” was something that cannot be replaced and explained with technology and economy. Green trees, animals, and landscapes in Zambia reminded me scenes from Lion King. They are exactly the same images in the movie. In particular, I had an interesting and thrilling engagement with baboon, an African and Asian World Old monkey, on the way to the Victoria Fall. A lot of baboons, zebras, and prairie dogs were around me and they were hiding in the trees and shrubs. A tour guide told me in advance that it was dangerous to show food and drinks to animals because they know they were tasty. However, my friend was holding a bottle of juice and a bag of potato chips in her hands. A big baboon (I think it is a boss) approached us from behind and shockingly, it scratched my friend’s bag pack. She freaked out and threw juice and potato chips into the air. The baboon took them and opened the bottle of juice using its hands like human beings do and drank all of it in front of us. I was surprised that it knew how to open the bottle. It was a thrilling and scary moment because the baboon could attack us as a group to take our food. Luckily, he was satisfied with juice and chips and left without harming us. The picture that I attached is the baboon I am talking about. It was the most thrilling engagement with a wild animal that stays in my mind forever.

I argue that we should definitely concern “saving nature” because we cannot live without beautiful and powerful nature. As stated before, nature is irreplaceable in our lives. I was so sentimental and emotional when I had engagements with the wild nature in Zambia. My eyes were full of tears when I saw a beautiful sunset at the horizon. Also, I had an interesting experience watching wild animals eating food and walking in front of us. The nature gives me power. I was full of energy after a trip to Zambia. In fact, I was having an exhausting life in high school because of a lot of assignments and exams. However, after I saw the sunset and had interactions with wild animals and nature, I felt like school work was nothing compared to greatness of nature. I would say that it is the greatest therapist in the world. I do not think this phenomenon can be explained with technology and economic activities. This simply comes from the bottom of the heart. It is true that technology and economic activities are beneficial and helpful for our lives in many ways; however, nature is more important than them. In fact, many wild animals are disappearing because they lose their habitats and food because of selfish human activities. We are destroying nature because of egoism. This is sad. We need to realize how much power we get from nature and appreciate the fact that we are fortunate to have beautiful nature. In other words, we cannot live without nature, so we have to save it. I will do my best to save nature with various effective ways. I will start researching facts of extinct animals and methods to save them. This blogpost is a significant one to reconsider how great nature is.

No comments:

Post a Comment