Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Nature: a work of art

My most magical experience with the non-human world has to be my trip down to Patagonia in the southern tip of Chile. I had never seen nor do I think I will ever see a more beautiful place in the world. The landscape, so untouched by human society was picturesque. Everywhere I turned, every scene I took in was a work of art. No one on earth can create something as asthetically breathtaking as the landscape of Patagonia. Dotting this landscape, of rolling hills, calm streams, massive glaciers and towering mountains, was a plethora of wild animals, rarely seen elsewhere in the world, such as a variety of llamas.

Of course we should save nature. First, as evidenced above, nature provides man a work of art upon which to observe. In all corners of the world nature provides us with beautiful images and creations that cannot be reproduced by any human. Second, many plants and animals provide humans with services both directly by food, clothing or medicine or indirectly by maintaining the delicate balance in nature (which was mentioned in previous posts). What we do can destroy that balance if we are not careful. Once it is gone it will never be back. The earth belongs to all living things not just humans. We need to make sure we live and let live.

No comments:

Post a Comment